How To Sing With Friends Online
Don't let lockdown stop you from enjoying karaoke battles with friends. Lucky Voice offers a step-by-step guide for hosting your own zoom karaoke party.
Online Karaoke Party: How To Sing With Friends During Lockdown
With everyone stuck at home, karaoke lovers have had to take to the virtual world to get their fix. Here's a step by step guide on how to sing karaoke online with friends.
First, a couple of words of warning
- If you're the host, you're going to have to do a fair amount of work!
- As the host you will need two devices - a smartphone and a desktop or laptop.
- The host will also need to download Zoom on their desktop or laptop and subscribe to our Online Karaoke Player (grab a free month's subscription by entering SINGONLINE as a code on our homepage)
- All other singers will need a desktop or laptop and a decent WiFi connection for the best results.
While this is the best method available at the moment, the sound quality is never going to be 100% so if anything short of crystal clear HD audio doesn't cut it for you, we'd suggest sticking to solo karaoke.
A Step By Step Guide To A Zoom Karaoke Party
2) Log in to our Online Karaoke Player and choose your first song.
3) Mute the phone and physically turn down the volume as well.
4) Launch Zoom on your laptop or desktop and set up a meeting where participants who join are automatically muted.
5) Join the meeting on your laptop or desktop and mute yourself.
6) Send a Zoom invite link to your smartphone.
N.B. Make sure you aren't logged into Zoom on your phone when following the invite link as you can't show two different screens from the same account. You want to be logged into Zoom on your desktop or laptop and logged out on your phone (though you do need the App downloaded on your phone to join the meeting)
7) Join the meeting on your smartphone + share the screen from that device then return to our Online Karaoke Player. On iPhone, you'll need to select Zoom in 'Start Broadcast' when prompted.
8) Play the first song on your phone as a test. If everything is coming through clear with no feedback, your settings are correct.
9) Invite all your friends to join!
If you find that the above method doesn't work due to poor internet connection, or your group of friends is just too big, you can opt for karaoke battles instead; which has one person singing at a time.
A Step By Step Guide To A Karaoke Battles
1) Set up the zoom karaoke party using the same process listed above.
3) Instead of all singing together, each participant takes it in turns to perform their song of choice while everyone else (muted) watches*. Host is still using our Online Karaoke Player on their phone to select each song.
4) Once the performance is over, everyone unmutes their mics and gives it a score out of 10. Take an average of all the scores and then move on to the next singer.
5) Depending on how big your group is you can include knockout rounds, finals and an overall karaoke battle champion.
*While watching on Zoom, you can pin the current singer's video so you can all enjoy the whole performance (dance moves encouraged). The singer can also see everyone else on the meeting above their main lyrics screen, so make sure to clap and whoop your encouragement even though you're muted!
Just because we can't meet up yet doesn't mean we have to miss out. Enjoy singing karaoke online with friends, it certainly beats a quiz. Remember, you can use code SINGONLINE here for a free month's subscription to our online karaoke service. Happy singing and stay safe!